Saturday, February 6, 2010

Scratch Beginnings-Attaining the American Dream

“Which one are you?” Those last three words brought Scratch Beginnings all together for me. This book was well worth the read and I am recommending it to everyone that I know. It was so unquestionably inspiring to me. I have saved money before. I finance much of my life. But there is so much more I could do! The minute I set down Scratch Beginnings, I grabbed a piece of paper and wrote down some goals. Saving is difficult, but so worth it.
I am already somewhat aware of the culture of the lower class, just because of the area we live in. But it was eye opening anyway, to witness through Adam’s words, the poverty lifestyle. I agree with many of Mr. Shepard’s conclusions; people can climb out of poverty. Poor folks can save their way up. And America is the best country and we should never bet against this Nation.
There are so many people that just sit around and literally don’t do anything. There are many leaches of society, who take, take, take, but return nothing. I agree with using welfare as a step up and nothing more. I agree with taking advantage of financial aid for school. I agree with using food stamps, if needed. Why? Because, ideally, the people who use these hand-ups will someday return the favor to society. Someday, they should be in a position to help others who were in their position. At least, that is how it should be.
I will keep Scratch Beginnings, not as my “English 001 book”, but as a fine read that I can continue to look to and read for inspiration as I work hard to be who I was created to be.

~Laurel May~

No comments:

Post a Comment