Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The American Dream...According to Me

My American Dream


“Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!” -Friedrich Nietzsche


No, I am not living the American Dream (AD) according to the stereotype: married, two children, nice house, white picket fence, 2 vehicles and a dog. Honestly, to me, the AD is more in attitude. It is about being joyous in everything that you do. When I am asked if I am living the AD, I have no doubt that I am. Why? Because I am where I know I am supposed to be. Yes, I know someday I will get married and have kids, but I know that time is not now, so I am living my AD. Yes, I know someday I will be graduated from college, but for now I am a Student, so I am living my AD. Yes, someday I will maybe own my own business, but for now I will continue to be a consumer, so I am living my AD.


I appreciate the German Mr. Nietzsche’s quote very much. We all strive for adventure. We like it when things go awry, and it is up to us to fix it. We like to think of life, and everyday tasks, as adventures. It is built into our DNA as human beings and I am proud to admit that living my American Dream is a grand adventure that I live every day. Part of my AD is to not hold any regrets. To confront things with people as soon as issues come up so that bitterness and resentment does not build up. To love people and to live with others peacefully, as far as it depends on you. My American Dream is up to me and God. Others will come into my life and impact me greatly. Your American Dream is up to you, with impact from people who come into your life.


I have objectives in my life and am strongly self motivated. I will always keep striving for them, because that is part of the Grand Adventure. I can do anything! And guess what? So can you. “Be the change you want to see in the world”-Gandhi.


Yes…I am content. And that is my American Dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment